Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sit

     When Killian is playing at the park he is almost constantly moving.  He will climb, jump, dig, and run.  He will talk constantly.  He will do things to make sure Daddy's heart is still working.  Every once in awhile though, he will say "sit."  He then stops everything he is doing.  Climbs up on a chair and will just sit.  Killian sits very proper.  No slouching or leaning.  No propping his feet up.  He doesn't even swing his legs back and forth like I used to when I was a kid and my feet didn't touch the ground.  Killian will then take the time to rest and soak in the world around him.  He will watch the other children playing and listen to what they say.  At the beginning of my time with the boys I thought he was just shutting down to rest.  He is resting, but Killian is still seeing his tiny section of the world and learning from it by observation.  I have heard others refer to kids as sponges.  Prior to having children I have never really observed this.  I once noticed Killian sitting, and while he was sitting he was inspecting a father who was sitting on a swing with his two children.  This particular adult was using his legs to pull and push the swing forward and backward to rock the children and himself in the bench swing.  After Killian sat for five minutes watching him, he jumped up off the chair and immediately tried to replicate the motion with his own legs.  With Killian and his short little legs, he looked more like he was trying to go through the motions of jumping without letting his feet leave the ground. 
     During this rebuilding time in my life, I constantly feel like I am trying to work on the engine to my truck while driving down the freeway at sixty-five.  Yes, I do actually drive the speed limit every once in awhile.  I am always trying to work on some project or entertain myself.  I am trying to rebuild thirteen years of life in thirteen days.  Life has become a lot busier than it was when I was younger.  I need to unplug every now and then.  I can learn from Killian's example and just sit.  The world can still be interesting if you take some time to yourself.  Observe and be still.  I love those boys.
Such a cute kid

No comments:

Post a Comment