Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Getting Old

     I have come to the realization that I am getting older.  I know that this change has been taking place over time.  But I have just noticed this.  No longer do injuries happen on the basketball court, but while I am sleeping.  Or that process of getting out of bed.  My driving is slower and sometimes I get home not realizing how I got there in the first place.  Hoping I didn't leave a wake of death and destruction as I went through the motions of finding my way home.  I like cauliflower.  I used to weigh 150 and could leg press 350.  Now I weigh 350 and can leg press 15.  I could dunk a basketball, now I think how high up the bottom of the net looks and wonder if they raised the rim to thirty feet from ten feet.  A basketball court now looks like a football field.  I select foods no longer based on what sounds good, but how it will make me feel later on.  I figure out how many hours I have to work to buy something to see if there is value in it.  I wear socks all the time.  CNN has become a more visited site with my web browser than ESPN.  When Killian spilled a bunch of crackers, I didn't look for the garbage can.  That would require much more effort than just picking the food up off the floor and shoving the leftover food into my mouth.  I guess I have to play the role of the dog since I no longer have one.  Conversations used to consist of "what did you think of them trading  X NBA player to Y NBA team?"  Now I have conversations that sound like this...Me: Did you poop?  Killian: No, I good Daddy.  Me: What are you doin'?  Beck: Poopin'.  I am no longer putting together airplane models, but trying to figure out how to read Chinese instructions while putting together a ride on dump truck.  The change from being a  juvenile to being a father that acts like a juvenile seemed to take place in just one day.  I woke up and there it was staring at me in the mirror.  It is a change that came about from having those two cute little monsters in my life.  I love them for helping to make me a better person.  Even if I can no longer get out of bed without sounding like someone just poured milk over Rice Krispies. 



It's tiring to play so hard all day

He figures out a way to climb everything


Getting more adventurous all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment