Sunday, January 8, 2012

Rough day for Beck

Over the Christmas break I was supposed to get the boys extra.  That didn't work out so well.  On December the twenty-third I had a full afternoon planned for the boys.  Go to grandpa's for presents, McDonalds, followed by the Dinosaur museum.  We arrived at grandpa's house, Killian raced up to the front door to tell grandpa "we came to see you" and then Killian saw Grandma Marla and told her "I don't want to talk to you."  (If only I could tell people at work that and have them find it funny like Grandpa and Grandma did).  Beck, however, wouldn't get out of the truck.  I had to coax him in with the idea of presents for him.  Once inside, Beck would not leave my lap.  I asked both boys if they wanted to give Grandpa his present.  Killian was the only one that took me up on the offer.  He was very excited to give Grandpa his present.  Then I asked him he wanted to give Grandma Marla her present.  He answered a very excited yes.  Then he took two steps towards Grandma Marla and threw her present on the ground in the general vicinity of Grandma Marla, close enough in his eyes I guess.  The second Beck opened his present he started saying, I just wanna go.  I just wanna go.  I had hoped that presents at Grandpa's would go better for Beck, as it has been very hard to integrate Beck into the extended family.  With all the extended family that is constantly around him from Madame X's side, I thought this would go easier. 
Once we were back outside, Beck ran to the truck and was happy again.  He wanted to go to McDonald's and slide on the blue slide.  Apparently, so did ten billion people other kids.  I have never seen that many people at a fast foot place ever.  Within the first three minutes of being there, Beck was knocked down by a girl that was around twelve (too big to be playing in the kid area).  I comforted Beck for a bit, and he summoned the courage to go back into the midst of the battle for Middle Earth.  Only to get knocked down by another Orc (girl) also too big to be playing in the play area.  He came over to me and kept saying, I just wanna go.  I just wanna go.  We didn't even have our food yet.  We had ordered and paid sadly, so we were forced to wait.  He just sat on the bench with me.  Once our food came, we bailed on that place! 
Arrival at the dinosaur museum made the boys happy.  We walked through "space" over and over.  Then went to play in the water, where Beck promptly ran into a bully of a boy, whose mother was too busy playing on her phone.  I kept trying to intervene short of slapping the kid.  Beck gave up on wanting to play there.  We went and found a quiet place with no children and played there for awhile.  After a short time, Killian also came over crying, he was digging next to another bully of a boy who decided to throw sand in Killian's eyes so Killian would leave.  At this point, both boys wanted to "just go play at Daddy's house".  Beck wanted to get in through Daddy's side and then jump to the back.  Wouldn't you know it, he got his leg caught as he jumped and then crashed into the back seat.  That started him crying and saying he just wanted to go home.  So home we went.  I had such big expectations for the day.  During the few hours I get to have the boys I want everything to be so fun and perfect for them.  It crushes me as a father when days like this happen.   





No comments:

Post a Comment