Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Daddy, I go wish you today?

For those that don't know, I usually get the boys half a day on Saturdays and on Mondays.  If, for some reason something comes up on those two days, we don't usually reschedule to a different day.  I'm just out of luck for that day.  On Thursday I was feeling a bit sorry for myself.  The boys had been sick and I had to work on Monday so I didn't get them.  That usually is a hard week for me when I have to go seven days without seeing them.  I received an interesting phone call though, Thursday, at nine in the morning that went like this...
Me: Hello
Quiet voice: Daaaaady
Me: Hey buddy
Quiet voice: I come wish you today?
Me: You want to come to my house?
Quiet voice: Yeah.  I play wish you today.
Me: Okay, I'll come get you, go get your shoes and coat on, okay?  Hello?  Hello?

Beck had hung up the phone and went to get his coat on.  Yes, you read that correctly, the quiet voice was none other than Beck. My son who has been so hit and miss on visitation called me in the middle of the week (while he was really sick I might add) and wanted to come to my house.  I drove about nine million miles an hour trying to see through the tears in my eyes.  My heart was so full.  So many days I feel like a failure as a father in my attempts to bond with my sons on a part time basis.  I could not stop crying as I raced to their house.  I was elated.  When I pulled up to their house the boys came running down the walk.  As soon as Beck saw me he said, "I wanna go to McDonalds, but not to the scary one."  I loaded them into the truck so thankful that Beck had called.  Driving with them always presents interesting conversations...

As soon as I get in the truck...
Beck: Daddy?
Me:  Yes buddy
Beck:  I tol' Mommy you come get me.  I call Daddy, he come get me.
Me:  You did?
Beck: I call, then I wait for you.
He was very matter of fact when he said it.  I was so glad that I could go when he called.

Beck:  This is the way to the park
Me:  Where is the park that is this way?
Killian:  (Pointing behind us) That way!
Beck:  Noooo, that is the way to my house

As we drive past the Springville McDonald's
Beck points and says," Dat one is a dangerous McDonald's."
Me: Why is that one dangerous?  (Marveling that he could even use the word dangerous properly)
Beck: Cause it is not safe.

Driving a bit further down the road...
Beck:  Look at all the trees!  I can't even see in the trees there's so many.
Killian:  I see a duck
Beck: I don't see a duck, so many trees
Killian:  Wed light daddy!  Stop! Stop! Stop!
Beck:  Look at those biggie ducks! (Geese)
Killian:  I hear a tain (train)
Beck: I don't see a train
Killian: I HEAR a tain
Beck: I don't see a train

After we played for awhile I told them I needed to go back to work so we needed to go.  I got Beck buckled in and Killian wanted to climb in my door.  While Killian was climbing in my side (or so I thought) I got the apple slices and boys drinks loaded in.  Only to hear Beck start screaming.  I ran around the other side of the truck to see that Killian and reclined my seat all the way down onto Beck and Beck couldn't retreat due to me harnessing him into his car seat.  Ooops.  Daddy lesson learned.
     I told Killian to get in the truck, we needed to go home so I could change their diapers. 
Beck: You no change mine
Me: Yep, I need to change both your diapers
Beck: No, Killian pooped, I peed.

I was so greatful for my boys this day.  So grateful I had not given up on the numerous days I felt like I wasn't making any progress.  I felt today that I loved my boys, and they in turn, loved me back.


Two little monsters waiting for their balloons to be blown up



Not sure why they sat in line to watch a movie

No comments:

Post a Comment